What are Pollard and Bagby’s office hours?
We are open from 9 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday.

How can I contact Pollard and Bagby?
You may write, email or fax us anytime. You may also call us during our office hours.

Office: 804-643-9011
Fax: 804-782-9897

All correspondence should be addressed to:
Pollard and Bagby, Inc
PO Box 2488
Richmond, VA 23218

Where is Pollard and Bagby, Inc. located?
We are located in downtown Richmond between Main Street and East Cary Street at:
2 South 5th Street


I have an after hours, weekend or holiday maintenance emergency, what do I do?
Call 257-7765. You should expect a return phone call from our “on-duty” person who will assist you.

For a fire call 911.

For a gas leak call 911.

I have a non-emergency maintenance issue, what do I do?
Call our maintenance department during our regular business hours of 9 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday at 643-9011, OR log in to your tenant portal to make a request online.

I have locked myself out of my residence or business, what do I do?
Pollard and Bagby, Inc. unfortunately does not provide “lock-out” service and you will have to contact a locksmith. However, if you are locked out during our regular business hours, 9 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday, then call our maintenance department at 643-9011 and we will do our best to assist you.

I need to arrange a “move-out” inspection of my residence or commercial space, what do I do?
Email, fax or call the maintenance department to arrange an appointment.

My electricity is out, what do I do?
Call your power company first to report the problem and to see if there is a power outage in the area. If it is determined that there is not a neighborhood electrical power outage in your area and all or part of your electrical circuitry is out then you may want to check your fuse panel or circuit breakers to determine if there is a blown fuse or tripped circuit. If you have blown a fuse then you will need to replace it with a new one of the same size. If you have determined that it is a tripped breaker then you will need to reset the breaker to the on position. If following the above instructions still does not solve the problem then call our maintenance department to report the problem.

What could cause fuses to blow and circuits to trip?
Any number of reasons could cause this to occur but we have found that most of the time it occurs due to the use of additional appliances, i.e. hair dryers, electric space heaters etc. These can cause an overload of the circuits if used at the same time other appliances are in use and are all attempting using the same circuit.

I smell gas odor, what do I do?
Call the City of Richmond Utilities 644-3000 to report the problem immediately. Then advise Pollard and Bagby’s maintenance department as soon as possible.


I have misplaced my lease and need another copy, what do I do?
Email or call any leasing agent at 643-9011 during office hours and we will mail you a copy.

How do I terminate my lease?
You may terminate your lease by following the instructions found in your lease. All residential lease terminations must be submitted in writing by either faxing, mailing or delivering to us a letter. Most commercial leases also require lease terminations in writing however some leases may automatically terminate. Please review your lease to determine exactly how it terminates.

IMPORTANT: Remember that lease terminations are time sensitive and it is very important that you are familiar with what your lease states in order to terminate the lease properly. Should you have any questions regarding this matter then please contact a leasing agent to assist you.

I intended on terminating my lease but have discovered that it has renewed for an additional term, what can I do?
You may call or submit a letter to our leasing department and they will assist you in determining what you can do to resolve the problem.


Where do I mail my rent payment?
Mail all rent to:
Pollard and Bagby, Inc.
PO Box 2488
Richmond, VA 23218

Can I deliver my rent payment in person?
Yes you may. Bring your rent payment to Pollard and Bagby’s office located in downtown Richmond between Main Street and Cary Street at:
2 South Fifth Street

What forms of payment does Pollard and Bagby accept?
We accept personal checks, money orders, bank checks, and cash.

Who do I make my rent check or money order out to?
Make all checks and money orders out to Pollard and Bagby, Inc.

When is my rent due?
Rent is always due on the 1st of the month, for that month, unless otherwise stated in your lease.

Do I have a grace period in which to pay my rent?
Most leases include a grace period, but they are not all the same. Read your lease to determine this, or you may email or call a leasing agent to assist you.

When is my rent considered late?
Your rent is considered late if not received by Pollard and Bagby, Inc. by the last day of the grace period as stated in your lease.

Are postmarks used in determining when rent is received?
No. Even if the postmark on the envelope is dated prior to the late date and it arrives at our office after the late date, then the rent is considered late.

I know that my rent is not going to be paid on time, what do I do?
If you are paying your rent after your late date, (according to your lease), then you must include your late fee amount with your rent payment when you pay it.

What is the amount of my late fee?
Most leases include a late fee amount, but they are not all the same. Read your lease to determine the fee, or you may email or call a leasing agent to assist you.

I have received a letter from your rent collection department stating that you have not received the rent, What do I do?
Pay your rent and late fee immediately and/or call our collection department manager at 643-9011, 9 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday, as soon as possible to discuss the matter.